Pages

Crafting disaster

My 8-year-old daughter's third-grade class exchanged "Stocking Stuffers" today. Each child needed to bring 18 small gifts. They decorated Rudolph bags for the goodies.

She decided that she wanted to make handmade soap in Christmas shapes for everyone. No problem. We've never done it before, but with the glycerin, melt and pour soap, I figured it would be fairly easy. And, it was.

We found some molds and bought the soap, fragrance and dye. Anna had seen on that kids' show "Cake" that you could put glitter in the soap. So, she found some little glitter stars. Only, they weren't so little.

After we had all the soap made and packaged into 18 little bags with tags, I used one of the rejects. The little stars were made from razor-sharp metal! Not something we needed to be handing out to kids. As I tried to wash my hands, I could just envision screaming kids all over town as they tried to use Anna's gift.

So, at 6:30 this morning, I started making a new batch of the little soaps -- without the sparkles -- hoping it would harden fast enough. We got to school with just minutes to spare.

At least we figured it out beforehand and not after some irate parent called me up over the holidays!

The good news is, I have a little crafter on my hands. She can't wait to make more soap, and she wants to open her own Etsy shop. I told her I'll have to investigate all the rules and regulations about making and selling soap, even if it is just the melt-and-pour kind.

7 comments:

Stela said...

haha! oh no! Good thing you tested out the soap!
You also have a little entrepreneur on your hands!

Amanda said...

haha. oh my gosh. I'm glad you tried one before you handed them out!

Blueberry Junkie said...

That's too cute. You have a little Etsian in the making!!

I have been wanting to make my own soap for a while too. I bought a book about it a while back, but haven't gotten around to making anything. Reading your post just gave me the itch for making.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. Thank goodness you tried one out for yourself. Yes, it is a good thing to encourage your kids to be creative.
Thanks for the nice comment you today at my blog. Visit me anytime. I love to hear from people.
Have a great day!
Salina

Valerie said...

Cool! Sounds like you have a little entrepreneur there and just as important its great you are encouraging her creativity!

Anonymous said...

Nice save!!! I love that you have a mini-crafter...you are an inspiration to her and I hope to be to my own daughter as she grows....

T.Allen said...

Sweet save! How cool is she; giving handmade for the holidays-I'm impressed! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...